Thursday, June 13, 2013

How to: Vanilla Bean Sugar




This is a photo of vanilla bean sugar I made for my friend Sarah’s bridal shower this past weekend. I was given a jar of this some time ago from a friend. I love the idea, and it tastes great in coffee or baked goods. Here is a quick little how to on this delicious sugar.


What you will need:
Mason Jars. I bought packs of 12 at Wal-Mart for 7$, they also sell individual jars if you only want to make a small amount.

Vanilla Beans. There are a couple different kinds; I used the Madagascar vanilla beans. You will need about one bean for each jar. Since I was making so many I bought mine offline in bulk very cheap. However they are available in most grocery store spice isles.

Sugar. I used regular granulated sugar, in the future I would love to see how it works with sugar in the raw.


How to:
1. Take one vanilla bean and cut it in half, then slice one side of the bean open, exposing the seeds.



2. Place the bean inside the jar and cover with sugar.




3. Seal the jar and let it sit for about 2 weeks to gain full flavor.

And there you go! This is a good addition to your morning coffee or a cute gift for a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment